- 3 flour tortillas (20cm/8″ rounds)
- 3 eggs
- 1½ tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small onion (red, brown, white, yellow), halved and sliced
- 1 cup red capsicum (bell peppers), roughly diced
- ¼ cup coriander/cilantro (leaves and stems roughly chopped) (loosely packed)
- 400g/14oz crushed tinned tomato
- ¾ cup canned black beans, drained
- ½ tsp paprika powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- ½ – ¾ tsp salt
- Black pepper
- Diced avocado
- Sour cream
- Grated cheese
- Heat a fry pan over high heat. Use a fry pan with a lid or use the lid of a larger pot (it doesn’t matter if it doesn’t fit snugly).
- Place tortilla in fry pan and cook for 30 seconds until charred. Flip and cook the other side for 30 seconds.
- Remove from fry pan and place into a bowl or casserole dish to form a bowl shape. As the tortilla cools, it will hold its shape in a bowl form.
- Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Heat oil in fry pan over high heat.
- Add garlic and onion and sauté for 2 minutes until starting to become translucent.
- Add capsicum (bell pepper) and cook for 2 minutes until starting to char.
- Add remaining Tomato Filling ingredients, reserving some coriander leave for garnish. Bring to simmer and cook for 1 minute to thicken, then turn heat down to medium.
- Use a spoon to make 3 indents in the Tomato Filling.
- Crack eggs into indents.
- Cover with lid and cook for 3 minutes or to your liking. Check it at 2 minutes, then take a quick peek every 30 seconds thereafter. It can go from under to overcooked in a flash! Note that the eggs will continue to cook slightly after taking it off the heat.
- Remove fry pan from heat.
- Divide Tomato Filling between each Tortilla Bowl, topped with an egg.
- Top with remaining coriander leaves and garnish of choice. Serve immediately.