- 1 1/2 cups finely crushed graham cracker crumbs (from 11 1/2 full sheets)
- 7 Tbsp butter, melted (I used salted)
- 2 1/2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp heavy cream
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 – 3 Tbsp granulated sugar, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter an 8 by 8-inch baking dish. In a mixing bowl, whisk together graham cracker crumbs, melted butter and granulated sugar until mixture is evenly moistened. Press mixture into an even layer in prepared baking dish. Bake 11 minutes in preheated oven. Remove from oven and cool completely (about 30 minutes).
- (Once crust has cooled) To a large mixing bowl add, sweetened condensed milk, 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp heavy cream, egg yolks, salt, lemon zest and lemon juice and whisk mixture until well blended. Pour into cooled crust and bake (still in preheated 350 degree oven), 28 – 30 minutes, or until edges appear set and middle still slightly jiggles. Cool at room temperature 1 hour, then cover with plastic wrap and chill 3 – 4 hours, until set. Cut into bars and top with whipped cream just before serving. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator.
- For the topping:
- In a mixing bowl, using an electric hand mixer (or using stand mixer), whip heavy cream on high speed until soft peaks form. Add sugar and continue to whip until stiff peaks form. Store in refrigerator, use within several hours of preparing.